Thursday, January 5, 2012

Chicken Piccata

We don't really go out to eat a lot and if we do, we don't do Italian unless we head towards our favorite place in the North End. One evening we met up with my in-laws and friends of theirs at a local place called Peppercorns. Peppercorns isn't in the North End but is located in Weymouth on Route 18. I ordered their Chicken Piccata dish and found a new dish to try for dinner. 

Bob and I eat a lot of chicken so we are always looking for new recipes. I made this dish for a first time sticking to the recipe I got from Bob's uncle John. I fell in love with the recipe because it was fast and easy to make and was delicious. At one time, I was making this dish once a week because it was so easy to do even after working all day and getting home late.  I've changed the original recipe a little but decided to type up the information given to me by Uncle John. I've added a few suggestions at the end, if you want to try them. Enjoy!
Ingredients: skinless, boneless chicken breast, sea salt, fresh ground black pepper, flour, unsalted butter, Sauvignon blanc or another tart white wine, chicken broth, fresh lemon juice, capers

Instructions: (1) Pound chicken breast between parchment paper or plastic wrap until 1/4" thick. Sprinkle with salt and pepper (both sides) and lightly dredge in flour; shake off excess flour. (2) Melt butter in large skillet over med-high heat. Add cutlets to pan and saute for 5 minutes. Remove and repeat with remaining cutlets. (3) Place cutlets on plate to drip before adding wine to the pan. Scrap up any browned bits from the bottom of the pan and cook down. Add broth and simmer until mixture is reduced. Stir in lemon juice and capers and place chicken back in pan mixture. Cook for a few minutes. (4) Sprinkle broth mixture over the top of the chicken. Garnish with tarragon or parsley or thyme.


* Serve over wheat pasta, with veggies or a mixed green salad, or with garlic mashed potatoes.
* I use some olive oil with the butter during step 2.
* I usually add more white wine, a little chicken broth, and more lemon juice during step 3.

No comments:

Post a Comment