Wednesday, January 4, 2012

Almond Lemon Souffle





I love making souffles when it is cold out. I can make them for dinner or for dessert and since you want to serve and eat these creations immediately after they come out of the oven, it's a great way to have a warm meal on a cold winter's night. 

I  have definitely had some failures but once I got the technique down and started doing a few different things, the souffles have been turning out almost perfect. I can't say perfect because nothing is ever PERFECT.


This recipe I got from the Cooking Light Magazine. I like finding delicious recipes that aren't so bad for me if I eat them. I tried this recipe out during the weekend and enjoyed it. I would definitely do a few things different next time I make this recipe, but, as my husband says sometimes, this is a keeper! I'm planning on using other citrus flavors like tangerine or even grapefruit to see how they come out. The lemon flavor is nice but I would add more lemon rind for a more lemony flavor. The almonds make this different from a traditional souffle that usually has powered sugar sprinkled on top. However you decide to make it, enjoy.







Ingredients: cooking spray, 1/2 cup + 2 TBSPs of sugar, divided, 2 large egg yolks, 3/4 cup buttermilk, 1 TBSP grated lemon rind, 1/3 cup fresh lemon juice, 2 TBSPs butter, melted, 1/4 cup of flour, 6 large egg whites, 1/2 tsp cream of tartar, 1/4 cup sliced almonds


Instructions: (1) Place a baking sheet with sides in the oven and preheat to 425. (2) Lightly coat 6 ramekins with cooking spray and evenly sprinkle with 2 TBSP sugar, titling to coat sides completely. (3) Combine 1/4 c sugar and egg yolks in large bowl and beat at high speed until thick and pale. Add 3/4 c buttermilk, lemon rind, lemon juice, melted butter, and flour; beat at medium speed until just blended. (4) Combine egg whites and cream of tartar in a bowl and let stand for 15 min. at room temperature. Using clean, dry beaters, beat at high speed until soft peaks form. Gradually add remaining 1/4 c of sugar, 1 TBSP at a time, beating until medium peaks form. (5) Gently stir 1/4 of egg whites into lemon mixture; gently fold in remaining egg whites. Spoon mixture into ramekins. Sharply tap dishes 2 to 3 times on the counter to level. Sprinkle with almonds. (6) Place ramekins on preheated sheet and return to oven. Reduce oven temperature to 350 and bake for 20 minutes or until puffy and lightly brown. Serve Immediately.


*Recipe obtained from Cooking Light Magazine, June 2011.

No comments:

Post a Comment