Tuesday, January 10, 2012

Cappuccino Bundt cake

While looking for something entirely different last weekend, I noticed several bundt pans in the corner of the cabinet. I decided to try out some different bundt cake recipes using these forgotten pans.

Recently when my grandparents moved from their hometown to a town closer to my aunt, my grandma gave me her bundt pan. You can definitely tell that this pan was well-loved. I had a favorite bundt pan but now I always use grandma's. When I don't feel like making a Big bundt cake, I sometimes make baby or mini bundt cakes. With the baby or mini cakes, I can freeze some or give some away as gifts. We are thinking about offering mini-bundt cakes at the farmers market this upcoming season.

I took a basic vanilla bundt cake recipe and decided to add coffee to it to make a Cappuccino cake for those friends of mine who are coffee lovers. I really don't like coffee; I'm more of a tea drinker. So when I make anything with coffee, I have to have my taster testers tell me what needs to be added or changed. They stated that maybe a little more coffee next time but otherwise, it was a good bundt cake.

Sometimes I leave a bundt cake plain or frost it with a cream cheese frosting, Buttercream frosting, a glaze, or a ganache. If I make this bundt cake again, I might try either a cream cheese frosting or a chocolate/vanilla/coffee Buttercream frosting on top and use maybe chocolate covered coffee beans as garnish.

Ingredients: 2.5 c flour, 2.5 tsp baking powder, .5 tsp salt, .75 c butter, 1.75 c sugar, 3 eggs (room temp), 1.5 tsp pure vanilla, 1.25 c whole milk, 2 tsp coffee extract, 4 TBSP instant coffee granules.

Instructions: (1) Heat oven to 350. Prep bundt pan (spray with Baking Joy or greased and floured). Sift flour, baking powder, and salt. (2) Beat butter on medium speed until creamy. Slowly add sugar and continue beating until fluffy. (3) Add eggs one at a time, beating after each addition. (4) Add vanilla and coffee extract and coffee granules to milk. (5) Add flour mixture to butter mixture, alternating with milk mixture. Begin and end with flour mixture. (6) Transfer batter to cake and fill pan to about 3/4 full. Bake until cake tester comes out clean, about 40 minutes for a big bundt pan or less for baby or mini pans.

*We get a majority of our extracts from Cook's Vanilla. They have a great selection of Pure and Organic extracts from nut, coffee, citrus, berry, liqueur flavors to even gluten-free flavors.
*I usually will add extracts and coffee granules to the milk first so they have a longer time seep.

Next bundt recipe I'll try, later on this week, and post will be a version of our Sour Cream Coffee cake but with Cinnamon and Pecans. 

No comments:

Post a Comment