Monday, September 17, 2012

Hello Fall!

The crisp cool mornings. The lessened daylight hours. The arrival of butternut squash, apples, and pumpkins to farmer's markets. The leaves turning colors. These are just a few tail-tell signs of Autumn. Another sign of fall, is cranberries. I travel some back roads on the way to work every morning and get the privilege of passing many cranberry bogs. This morning, I saw my first truck carrying a load of cranberries to the Ocean Spray facility. More and more trucks will be traveling from all over the Cape and South Shore to bring in these tarts berries. Soon towns will be having their Cranberry Festivals and others can see what goes into harvesting these berries. Living here, we sometimes take for granted this delicious fall crop. I stock up on tons of cranberries during this time and give bags away. My neighbor is a grower so I get fresh harvested berries every year. So fresh, I usually have to clean out the leaves and twigs before using them in pies, breads, muffins, pancakes, etc.

Another sign of fall is the Autumnal Equinox and this weekend is the official start to fall. It's that time of the year where the Sun's path is at the Equator and is projecting equal amounts of sunlight on the Northern and Southern Hemispheres. Everyone on Earth will be experiencing the same amount of daylight. For those of us living in the Northern Hemisphere, this means that our amounts of daylight will continue to decrease as we move into fall and winter seasons. For those living in the Southern Hemisphere, this means that their amounts of daylight will be increasing as they move into their spring and summer seasons.

This time of the year has me craving comfort foods like stews and soups, breads, cinnamon rolls, and hot drinks like tea and hot chocolate.  I'm going to try and post a recipe every few days. Some recipes might be for stews/soups, others might be for baked goods or desserts. Either way, it is a win-win situation. I get to make those foods I enjoy during this time of the year and you get to enjoy some fall items that I like to make.

First I'm going to make a few bread pudding recipes. I'm not really big on bread pudding but there are a few recipes that I enjoy.  So we'll see where I go from there.

Happy Fall Everyone. Enjoy!

No comments:

Post a Comment