Tuesday, May 22, 2012

Strawberry Rhubarb Pie

My grandmother always made a rhubarb pie or bread or muffins when the rhubarb in granddad's garden would sprout. One summer, prior to her fixin' the pie, us cousins tried some rhubarb. Needless to say it left a very nasty impression in our mouths. For the longest time, I would never eat anything that had rhubarb in it because of that memory associated with the taste. I decided to make some rhubarb pie one season when a customer asked for it at a market. I used grandma's recipe and even had a slice of pie later in the day. I'm still not a huge fan of rhubarb but at least I know I can stomach it if I had to.

The recipe listed below is the recipe given to me by my grandmother years ago. You will need a pie crust recipe (the flakier the better) or a store-bought pie crust. Pillsbury makes a non-frozen pie crust that you can purchase and my mother-in-law will sometimes use it when she isn't making it from scratch. I use my granddad Nestor's pie crust recipe. This is a very flaky and buttery recipe that he always used when making his pies. Sorry, not sharing this family secret with you.  Enjoy the pie!


Ingredients: 3/4 c  sugar, 1/3 c flour, 1 tsp  ground Cinnamon, 1/2 tsp ground cloves, 1 lb. fresh rhubarb*, 1 pt. strawberries, 2 TBSPs butter


Instructions: (1)Preheat oven to 425F. Mix sugar, flour, cinnamon and cloves in a bowl. (2) Wash rhubarb and trim off ends. Cut rhubarb into 1" pieces. Wash and hull strawberries; cut in half. (3) Place rhubarb and strawberries in a large bowl and sprinkle with sugar mixture. Toss to mix. Let stand about 15 minutes then toss again. (4) Spoon rhubarb-strawberry mixture into a deep dish 9" pie pan or a baking dish that already has pie crust in it. Cut up butter into small cubes and place on top of mixture in the pan/dish.(5) Cover with another pie crust or make a fancy lattice top. Cook for 40 minutes or until crust is golden brown and juices bubble up.


*You want about 6 c of cut-up rhubarb. To prevent the edges of the crust from burning, you can line them with aluminum foil and remove it the last 10 minutes.

No comments:

Post a Comment