Wednesday, April 18, 2012

Supreme Banana Pudding

For the last few days, I've been enjoying time with my family that are currently still living in the South. Prior to coming home, a friend of mine in the Baton Rouge, Louisiana area posted a question on Facebook regarding Banana Pudding. She wanted to know if it was just a Southern thing or did people in the North also enjoy it. All of us chimed in on our thoughts; some where down right hilarious, while others just made you shake your head.

Since I came home to grab some more recipes out of the family vault, I figured I would grab a banana pudding recipe from a lady I called 'grandma' while living in Louisiana. Mrs. Fisher, or Ms. Euince, attended Baton Rouge First Church of the Nazarene. Her husband always had a peppermint disc for me every Sunday morning. Both of them were very loving and for someone who's grandparents lived far away in West Virginia, they, along with the Hendersons, helped fill the grandparent gap.

This is her Banana Pudding recipe. I don't like bananas and never did. Grandma Wilks found that out the hard way, that's another story from my childhood in Louisiana. I would eat Ms. Euince's pudding though, just not the banana chunks. Enjoy this little bit of Southern goodness.

Ingredients: 2 large boxes of instant pudding, 5 cups cold milk, 8 oz sour cream, 9 oz. box of cool whip mix, 8 bananas, 1 box of vanilla wafers, 1 bowl of cool whip, pecans (optional)

Instructions: (1) Beat together pudding and milk. When thick, add sour cream and 1 carton of cool whip. Mix together. (2) Stir in sliced bananas and pour into a dish of your choice*(3) Stick wafers into the pudding mixture and spread cool whip on top. Add pecans if you want.

*I usually use a Trifle bowl but sometimes I'll use a 11x13" dish. I also sometimes layer wafers and banana slices between the pudding. When I get adventurous, I'll make the pudding from scratch and also make a meringue to go on top.

No comments:

Post a Comment